Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"She must have a really great personality."

One of my middle school friends had the best Facebook status not long ago. It went something like this: "I got out of the shower the other day and caught a glimpse of myself running naked by the mirror and I said to myself 'Wow, she must have a really great personality.'" That is how I feel pregnant. I will go ahead a let it be known that I am not one of those people who thinks pregnant women's bodies are so beautiful. Au contraire!

If anyone doesn't think there is a God, no need to examine the heavens for proof, just look at a pregnant woman's body. From the moment of conception, the body transforms on order to support and sustain that new life. From the expanding uterus (ouch!), to new blood vessels to get blood to the baby, to a weakened immune system so the body does not treat the baby as a sickness and reject it.... I could go on and on. Incredible? yes. Flattering? Not in the least.

This pregnancy, I have been completely shocked at how fast I have experienced pregnancy symptoms and how soon they have become visible on my body. When I was pregnant with Ollie, I remember thinking I was never going to have all those things the pregnancy books tell you to expect. My 2 notable symptoms were nausea, and and protruding belly button! I kid you not, my belly button was sticking out by the time I was 12 weeks! I didn't even look pregnant! I just looked like I had a freakish "outie." I literally wore a bandaid over it to keep it stuck in. Other than my belly getting bigger, I didn't have any other notable physical changes until I was in the 3rd trimester.

But now, I feel like I'm already in the 3rd trimester (ok, maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but I'm allowed to sometimes, right?). Most notable has been the gut wrenching nausea. It started around 5 1/2 weeks and has rarely given me a moment's respite. Luckily, I've only actually thrown up once, but I have spent entire days with a bucket in tote, "on the brink," wishing that I would, just get it out to maybe get some relief! Second, would be the that my skin looks like it has a map of Atlanta just underneath the surface. I swear you can see every single vein in my body! (Thank you Irish heritage) I even spotted a varicose vein on my middle toe! (Can you say "spray tan?")  Third, my leg hairs! I can shave in the morning and actually have a "5 o'clock shadow." Nice. Also, my belly protruding- I already have to wear maternity clothes to be comfortable. Plus, I never lost the little "pooch" at the bottom of my belly from being pregnant with Ollie. And that, sitting on top of my expanding uterus is SO not the cute baby bump I had during the first pregnancy. I hear that a lot of girls like the boob-age they get when pregnant, but I see this as a curse! They already hurt soooooooo bad! Like the pain keeps me up at night! Plus, the Lord already blessed me in the bosom region, so I could really do without the extra! Sigh... luckily Matt says he loves my maternity clothes, tells me how healthy my hair looks (which I have to agree, those hormones are good on the hair), and encourages me to keep exercising, among all the other wonderful things he does. He also goes out of his way to tell me that I look great-- when I'm wearing a over sized sweatshirt, no makeup, and haven't brushed my hair all day... what a man!

I may not be the Athena I once was (there I go, being dramatic again), but luckily it is not forever. We have already set aside money for a personal trainer so I can get back to normal soon after the baby comes! Whatever "normal" may be at that point, but that's another post for another day...

Afterthought: The other morning as I was getting dressed I remembered when I was really big and pregnant with Ollie, and Matt would put my socks and shoes on me every single day, because it was so difficult to reach my feet... how sweet!

This is me on July 27th, 2008, the day I graduated from college-- about 16 weeks pregnant and just starting to show. I didn't want to be "the pregnant girl" at graduation so I wore a loose dress to hide the bump!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Claire

Amateur mommy and imperfect homemaker.